Canon printers are used by a majority of people across the globe. They come in all models and forms, ranging from wired to wireless. If you have a wireless Canon printer and want to know how to connect Canon printer to wifi & laptop, then read on.
Here are some things you need to consider before you connect Canon printer to wifi & laptop.
- Check the Canon Printer. In case you wish to print via Wi-Fi on your laptop, then you need to first install the printer. You may get a network printer that will connect directly to the home or work network. Or else, you can share a Canon printer that is set up with another device on the home network.
- Verify the network and requirements. If you connect Canon Printer to Wi-Fi, then you can conveniently access it on Windows and macOS laptops. If you first connect it to a computer and share it on the network, then you can access it on devices that run the same OS.
It is recommended to install the Canon printer directly to your home network. This way you can connect it easily and it will also be available at all times. If you wish to share your printer which is connected to a different device, then the other device will have to be powered on for accessing the printer.
Preparing to Connect Canon Printer to wifi & Laptop
If you want to connect Canon printer to WiFi and then install it on your laptop, then here is how you can get started.
- First, you need to ensure that the printer is powered on and plugged. In case the printers need an ethernet connection for accessing the net, then you have to make use of an Ethernet wire for plugging your printer into the router.
- Check if the Canon printer comes with the installation program. In case the printer came with a disk, then you will have to pop that disk into your laptop and let the installation software run before you can proceed with the printer setup process.
- For installing the software using a disk, simply pop the disk into the CD tray of the laptop and then follow the guidelines on the screen. If you have a Mac laptop, then you need to get an external CD reader.
- Now, you need to connect the Canon printer to the internet. You need to make use of the LCD panel of your printer and choose the wireless network. Type the password when required.
- Go through your printer’s manual for seeing the particular guidelines for connecting your printer to the internet. It is easy to connect Canon printer to wifi.
- You need to ensure that your laptop is connected to the same network that your printer is connected to. If you want your wireless Canon printer to get commands from the laptop, then the laptop, as well as the printer, needs to be connected to the same network.
- In case your Canon printer is connected to another wireless network, then you need to change the laptop’s network before you get started with the installation process.
How to Connect Canon Printer to Wifi?
- Hit the Power button for turning on your Canon printer.
- Click on the Settings option. Hit the arrow key and when you are in the Device settings, hit OK.
- Keep pressing the arrow key until the LAN settings option is highlighted. Hit OK.
- Now, move to the wireless LAN setup option and hit OK.
- The Canon printer will attempt to look for available WiFi networks. The light shall be continuously blinking.
- In case the search procedure takes quite a while, you may hit stop. After that, it will return to the wireless LAN setup. You can press on OK.
- Scroll the list of available networks and select your WiFi network.
- After that, press on OK.
- Type the password of your network.
- Finally, hit the OK button.
Installing Canon Printer on Windows Laptop
Find the complete process to connect Canon printer to wifi & laptop running on Windows.
- Click on the start button. You may also press the Win key from the keyboard. The Start button is located at the lower-left corner.
- Now, from the start menu, find the Settings option. The Gear icon will be present in the bottom left-hand corner.
- Click on the Devices option. It will be present towards the upper side of the screen.
- Click on the Printers & scanners option. It will be present on the left.
- Click on the plus icon for adding a printer or scanner. You will find this option at the top.
- In case the name of your Canon printer model is already visible in the Printers and scanners segment, then it implies that your printer has been connected already.
- Simply select your Canon printer. A new window shall appear on the screen. Now your laptop will be prompted to connect to your printer. When the connection procedure is over, you can use your Canon printer form the laptop.
- In case your OS is not able to locate your Canon printer, then move to the following step.
- Try to install your Canon printer using a compatible USB cable. In case your printer is not visible in the Add device screen, then you might be able to set up the printer by establishing a connection using the cable. Here is how you can connect Canon printer to wifi laptop using a USB cable.
- Take the USB cable and attach it to your printer.
- Now, attach the other end of the cable to your laptop.
- Secure the connection.
- The installation screen will appear on the screen.
- Simply follow the prompts on the screen and complete the process.
Installing Canon Printer on MacBook
If you have a laptop running macOS, then here is how to connect Canon printer to laptop.
- First, you need to launch the Apple Menu. To do so, click on the Apple icon at the upper left-hand corner.
- From the pull-down menu, select the System Preferences option.
- Click on the Printers and Scanners option.
- After that, click on the Plus icon.
- Did you already connect Canon printer to WiFi? If the answer is yes, then you will notice your Canon printer mentioned on the screen.
- Click on your Canon printer model. Now, a pull-down menu shall appear on the screen. The printer set up process will now start. Once the process is over, the name of the printer will be visible in the left pane of the screen. This will signify that you have successfully connected your printer to the laptop.
- In case you are unable to see your printer in the list, move to the following step.
- You can attempt to install the printer using the USB cable. In case your laptop is unable to locate your printer, then proceed with direct installation through a USB cable.
- Take the USB cable and plug it into your Canon printer.
- After that, plug the other end of the cable to your laptop.
- Ensure that the connection is secure.
- The installation window will show up on the screen.
- Simply follow the guidelines on the screen and complete the process.